Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm a Big Girl Now

Three days ago, I got my very first van.  I have been using CHESCO's van for the past few years and I'm happy to see it go, although I am very greatful for getting to use it.  Some of my staff and I lovingly referred to it as "Bessie". It looked liked a Bessie.  It was huge.  It looked a bit like Bella's truck from "Twilight".  Getting in and out was a slow and often noisy process. I had to get in through the side, which made parking difficult because I always had to park where I wouldn't be blocked in, so there could be no cars on the right side of the van.  Bessie was rusty and the electric lift would squeel and her doors sounded like shot guns firing when they were shut properly. I had been running around like a mad woman because I needed to get insurance and registration.  Everything's finally in order and the van is here! i just need to put the permanent plates on.  This new van is awesome.  I can get in through the back door easily without any lifts and that means I can park wherever I want and don't have to drive around finding the perfect parking space.  The doors are all electric.  My staff can just touch the doors and they open.  It's not huge like Bessie was and it's a pretty silver color.  The best part is the sound system!  I finally have bass and a CD player and MP3 port so I can listen to my music loud. :) Off topic...I went to an ABLE meeting. The school district was discussed, specifically the current treatment of children with autism. Some of these children are being locked in tiny rooms (like cages) for long periods of time.  This happens when the school workers feel that the child is out of control.  I think that these children are "out of control" because they are frustrated because they have  communication barriers.  Teachers and Aid's are not always properly educated/trained in working with children who have autism.  One mother from the ABLE group spoke about her experience.  She is moving her child to Crotched Mountain because the public school her child attended was failing to meets the childs needs.  I think this is a good thing and a bad thing.  His needs can be met at Crotched Mountain but he will not be able to intereact with so many of his peers.  He will be more isolated.  In my dream world Crotched Mountain could include children from public school's to be involved with plays and other fun activities.  I wish they could start a Glee Club. Including children in these activities will take money though and that is sparse.  If I ever win the lottery 1/2 of the money I win will go to Croched Mountain and leadership, as long as they work together. 

3 comments: